All Night at the Rec set to make a splash

Kendra Wicks

The Student Recreation and Wellness Center will host their annual All Night at the Rec event on Friday, March 9 from 11:30 p.m. to 3 a.m. The night will consist of various games, activities, food and prizes and is free for all Washburn students.

The SRWC staff is excited for the new additions they’re making to the event this year.

“We’re most excited for archery tag,” said Kellie Hundemer, assistant director of fitness and wellness. “I think that will be a lot of fun. It’s like dodgeball, only with bows.”

Collaboration with local businesses has provided the SRWC with prizes to award to students.

“We’re really excited about all the donations we go this year from the community,” said Hundemer.

The items will be raffled off, including gift cards to The Burger Stand, bags of coffee from PT’s Coffee Roasting Co. and coupons for Subway, Fuzzy’s Tacos, Sonic and Jimmy John’s. Other activities include bingo, movie trivia, relay races and much more.

“This year we’re having a DUI simulator and cup stacking with beer goggles,” said Hundemer. “The whole reason we’re doing this is to help promote a safe and fun environment and an alternative for students to come here instead of going out to a party.”

The event is designed to promote a healthy community throughout Washburn’s campus.

“I think Washburn has a great environment,” said TaNiqua Ward, employee wellness director at the SRWC. “It’s very friendly and they have a great, supportive community.”

The event is planned by Hundemer and Associate Director, John Cummings. It’s sponsored by several organizations on campus, including the International Club, Washburn Student Government Association, the Campus Activities Board and the Washburn Police.

The SRWC has been putting on All Night at the Rec for the past seven years. It is normally held in February but was pushed back this year due to other events. Hundemer hopes that the timing will encourage students to make safe choices over spring break.

“We’re promoting social wellness,” said Hundemer. “You guys can come here and have fun.”

Around 150 students attended last years’ event and the SRWC staff is expecting a turnout of that size or larger this year.  All Washburn students are welcome and encouraged to attend.

“It’s just so much fun,” said Hundemer. “It’ll be a good time.”