Students look to combat human sex trafficking with new student led organization

Photo curtosy of P.E.A.C.E 4 Change

P.E.A.C.E 4 Change is a new organization on campus. The first meeting of the semester was held on Sept. 20.

P.E.A.C.E.4Change is a new organization focused on spreading awareness throughout the community about sexual assault and human trafficking. The new organization is led by senior Kevin Williams and supervisor Sharon Sullivan.

The organization plans to implement initiatives within the community to spread awareness of projects including the Man to Man campaign. The campaign’s objective is to make contact with potential buyers of sex and educate them about the sociological and psychologic impacts those actions have on not only the victim, but society as well.

“I’m super excited about this group… I’m very proud [the organization about awareness for human trafficking] came out of our class,” Sullivan said, who also teaches a course about the effects of human trafficking.

Sullivan has been at Washburn University for over 20 years and currently holds the chair position in the theatre department. Sullivan also teaches theater, women and gender studies and a course about human trafficking.

“Human trafficking is a big passion of mine,” Williams said. “It’s what brought me back to school.”

Williams explains the importance of expanding the conversation beyond the victims and focusing on the individuals initiating the act, who are primarily male. The organization is also seeking to assemble a speaking panel to help further the conversation of sex trafficking within the community.

“I would love to bring in some outside speakers, individuals within the community and outside the community, to discuss the impact that human trafficking has on our community and on our nation,” Williams said.

The long-term goal of the organization is to approach various venues within the community where sex trafficking is more prominent and to provide information on how to reduce or recognize potential sex trafficking.

“At this point, we have been in contact with multiple organizations in the community; we have a running collaboration with the Topeka police and other law enforcement entities,” Williams said.

P.E.A.C.E.4Change is open to anyone who has an interest in spreading awareness of sex trafficking within the community. For more information regarding this new student organization, visit their calendar for meeting times and locations.

Edited by Glorianna Noland, Justin Shepard