Editorial: The end of the semester, now what?

So, it’s the end of the semester. To the seniors graduating, congrats! It’s a new chapter in your lives. Time to go out and start a job, an internship or maybe even a graduate degree. Have a nice graduation party, enjoy celebrating with friends and family and take a nice, long day off after finals week.

To everyone else, way to go to you as well! You may not be finishing your time at Washburn just yet, but you’ve finished another semester, and that’s something worth celebrating. Go out and treat yourself. Enjoy the warm weather with an ice cream cone, a nap in a hammock or maybe, if you’re at least 21, a nice, cold, adult beverage.

So, the semester is coming to a close, now what? There are plenty of ways to spend your time away from school.

You could stay inside all summer and binge the latest Netflix season (FYI: “Dear White People,” “GLOW,” “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt” and “Luke Cage” all have their season premieres in May and June).

You could be a little more adventurous and take a trip, maybe across the state to see Boot Hill in Dodge City, across the country to the first Starbucks in Seattle or maybe across the world to visit the New Zealand sites where “The Lord of the Rings” was filmed.

With all your extra time not doing homework, perhaps spend some of it volunteering. With summer hitting, there are plenty of children and teenagers out of school. Look into being a Big Brother or Sister and mentor one of these kids. If you enjoy animals, Helping Hands in Topeka has a calendar full of volunteer opportunities on their website. There are also opportunities with the Rescue Mission, Let’s Help and other places to help individuals and families in need. Look for something that interests you and go do it.

Feeling a little adventurous but also want to learn more about the inner workings of the city? Sign up to participate in the Topeka Police Department Ride-Along Program.

Want to learn something, like a new language? Duolingo offers courses in over 20 different languages across web and mobile platforms.

Maybe you’re one of the many students who works hard over the summer. The money you make may help you pay for school next semester, rent and food. Maybe you can save a little extra cash to spend on something you’ve been wanting for a while. While you are working however, don’t forget to take a break every now and again. It is summer after all.

Take a tour of the sights, sounds and tastes of Topeka by visiting museums and parks, taking in a concert or eating at one of the several local restaurants in various parts of the city

Enjoy the outdoors. Maybe grab some friends, a tent and a boat and take a trip down a river. Rent a Metro Bike and take a ride along the Shunga Trail. Go for a walk in the park. Washburn is a public university, so maybe come onto campus and throw around a football or a frisbee on the Union Lawn. Just spend some time outside.

Finally, make sure you don’t cut yourself off from society. Pay attention to what’s happening in the world. We here at the Review hope you’ll stick with us through the summer to stay updated via our website on the latest Washburn, Topeka, state and national news.