Athlete of the Week: Ally Burr

Seth Burdick WASHBURN UNIVERSITY

The fall season is quickly approaching, and like all other sports, Washburn tennis is set to have its best year yet. Helping lead that charge for the last time as a Washburn Ichabod is senior Ally Burr. 

In high school, Burr was a Kansas 5A State Champion her senior year, along with being a four-time state qualifier. At Washburn, she has held a record of 40-42 in doubles and 29-24 in singles. 

Burr began her tennis career when she was seven years old, and she has loved the sport ever since. She knew she wanted to continue her career in college, and Washburn was a perfect fit.

“I love everything about Washburn, from the faculty, to the campus, as well as the people that I am honored to call my classmates,” Burr said.

She believes that Washburn helps her, and student athletes like her, succeed in the classroom as well as on the court. Burr has been named on the MIAA Academic Honor Roll throughout her college career.

Despite the pressure from athletics and classes, Burr still finds time to be involved on campus. She participates in numerous clubs and organizations, such as Students Today Alumni Tomorrow, Student Leadership Council, Leadership Institute, Young Life College, Mortar Board Senior Honor Society, NONOSO Women’s Honor Society and Gamma Delta sorority. Needless to say, she is busy. 

Burr, like all other athletes over the summer, hit the gym and the courts to gain an edge over the competition. Although, Burr may have found an even better way to train for the upcoming season. She and her teammate, senior Alexis Czapinski, were able to travel to New York for a different kind of workout. They helped teach a youth tennis camp at Army West Point. There, she was able to help give back to the game she loves and progress even further as an athlete.

“That itself was a great experience, bonding with her [Alexis] and also meeting some really high-level coaches,” Burr said.  

As far as the upcoming season is concerned, Burr will be ready to make her senior year one to remember.  She is excited to see how the team does this year and believes that this will be the best tennis team she has been a part of since she’s been at Washburn. 

“I am looking forward to the chance to compete wearing the name Washburn with my girls one more time… We’ve been on the cusp of achieving some really great things for Washburn, we’re going after it,” Burr said. “I am looking forward to competing, growing close as a team, and showing everyone in MIAA and everywhere that Washburn tennis is where it’s at.” 

As for her overall goal, she wants the team to gain a conference championship, then move on to regionals and ultimately compete at nationals.

“Personally, I just want to contribute as fully as I can to help make these goals a reality,” Burr said.

Burr and her teammates are ready to hit the ground running this season, and hopefully we’ll see them on the nationals court in a few months.