The Case on Cosby

Bill Cosby, a man once known as a comedic legend and famed father figure, was sentenced to three to 10 years in state prison for the drugging and sexual assault of Andrea Constand. The assault occurred 14 years ago in Cosby’s home.

Constand, a survivor, was not the only victim to Cosby’s behavior, she was merely the only accuser who fell within the statute of limitations. Almost five dozen women have come forward, setting the stage for the #MeToo movement.

The question is, are the people satisfied with a wealthy, famous actor getting three to 10 years for several counts of assault, or are the people enraged by the fact that a wealthy, famous actor only received three to 10 years for the violent attack of a young woman? Many people are currently torn on the issue of racist motivation for Cosby’s incarceration.

“Being a methodical, serial sexual predator is a thing apart from racist pressure,” said Erin Kaplan, a journalist for the New York Times.

The consensus on Washburn University’s campus appears to be very similar. Two women expressed a deep passion for the importance of social justice and justice for Constand, specifically.

Kloey Appel, a freshman at Washburn who’s a member of the leadership community, expressed her desire for change and deep hurt by the current state for many women across the nation.

“I feel like if it was an average person they would have gotten more,” she said.

Appel expressed her concern for how many women came forward with accusations.

“I think there were like 60,” Appel said. 

Chloe Jones, another freshman on campus, took a more broad approach to the issue and examined sentencing for sexual assault amongst celebrities as a whole.

“I think that’s good, the amount of time he got charged, as opposed to other people. Because there are a lot of famous people that will just quit their jobs and everything will be hush-hush,” Jones said. “The time probably isn’t as much as it should be, but it’s still something.”

Not everyone feels as though justice was served. According to the Washington Post, Cosby’s publicist, Andrew Wyatt, is reported as comparing Cosby to Jesus Christ and proclaimed that this trial was “the most racist and sexist” trial he had ever seen.

Personal affiliation aside, the court voted in favor of Constand, sentencing a predator, regardless of age and skin color, to several years behind bars. The abuse of his wealth and power is evident. Putting an end to that abuse is all that matters. This court did everything in its power to preserve all that the United States stands for.