Football Team Throttles RiverHawks

This past weekend, the Ichabod football team returned home to face the Riverhawks from Northeastern State University at Yager Stadium. It was a rainy, cloudy day, but the Ichabods came out on top, 58-14 over the Riverhawks.

The Ichabods started the scoring barrage with their first drive of the day, after sophomore quarterback, Mitch Schurig, threw a 36-yard touchdown pass to James Brania-Hopp, senior, wide receiver, to put the Ichabods up 7-0. The Ichabods would find the end zone again on their next drive after Hunter Browning, a red-shirt freshman running back, ran it from 5 yards out to make the score 14-0. At the end of the quarter, the Ichabods would find pay dirt one last time as Schurig found Will Hamilton, senior wide receiver, wide open for an 8-yard touchdown pass. The Ichabods would take a 21-0 lead heading into the second quarter. 

The Riverhawks started the second quarter as they took one play to score a 73-yard touchdown, finally getting on the board, 21-7.  The Ichabods would answer though after Kamani Addison, red-shirt freshman running back, scored from 2 yards out, extending the lead to 28-7. Two NSU drives later, senior cornerback, Corey Ballentine laid out a Riverhawk receiver, but he hit too high as he was ejected from the game for committing targeting. The Riverhawks would find the end zone again after a touchdown pass to make the score 28-14. The Ichabods would score one last time at the end of the half after Schurig found redshirt sophomore, tight end, Jace Williams for a 16-yard touchdown pass to make the score 34-14.

The second half was all Washburn as the Washburn defense held the NSU offense scoreless. Addison would find the end zone again to make the score 41-14. Senior, kicker, Perry Schmiedeler added to the tally with a 49-yard field to make the score 44-14. Then, redshirt sophomore running back, added another score after punching the ball in from 4 yards out making the score 51-14. Finally, red-shirt freshman running back, Will Evans ended the scoring barrage with a 1-yard rushing touchdown as the Ichabods pulled even further ahead, 58-14.

After having a career day, Hunter Browning was happy with the outcome but not satisfied.

“I could have played better, but I came out as hard as I could have. Every run I had, I ran as hard as I could, and I thought I had a decent game. Today, I gotta give all the props to the O-Line I couldn’t have done it without them,” Browning said. 

Senior linebacker, Derrick McGreavy was also happy, but knew the defense still had areas to improve.

“The D-Line was getting good pressure all day which makes it easier for the linebackers to flow and make good plays. As a team we played our best game of the year. After a poor performance, we knew we needed to come out and dominate the game. I think we did that in all phases of the game. But, we have little areas we need to improve on that we have to do,” McGreavy said.

The win improves the football team’s record to 3-3. The next game for the football team will be this Saturday, Oct. 13 against the Missouri Southern State Lions for Homecoming.