Chicago shooting injures Rapper King Louie

Two men were killed and six were wounded in December of 2015.

A drive-by shooting took place is the Austin neighborhood of Chicago. A total of six were shot, some were fatal.

Rapper King Louie, also known as Louis Johnson, was shot while in a vehicle in the 3900 block of West 83rd Street about 3:30 p.m., according to Chicago Police.

Although Johnson survived his injuries, two men did not. 39-year-old Nathan Smith was pronounced dead on the scene. A man identified as Christopher Ruffin and a 55-year old woman were injured at the shooting, but after being taken to the hospital Ruffin did not survive.

The 55-year-old woman along with five others were directly sent to the hospital in which they had their wounds tended to and made it through.

Johnson “King Louie” grew up on the southeast area of Chicago. He is credited with coining the term Chiraq and has been a prominent part of the drill rap sound for a decade, according to the Chicago Tribune. Johnson also made an appearance on Kanye West’s sixth album “Yeezus.”

Johnson had been making advances in his career and this shooting severely stunted his musical career.

According to Hip Hop Wired, King Louie was not popular among groups like Chicago’s Team 600 and LA Gang. They were seen on Twitter and other social media platforms bashing the artist and were excited about his injuries.

Several were spouting disrespectful comments about the matter including Twitter users @alexandrleon225 and @600Breezy.

They tweeted “Headshot They Gonna Have 2 Close His Casket Up” and “Well I’m in the Christmas spirit what about you guys.”

Several have claimed that these remarks were made from reasons of jealousy.

Many have thought if these groups had any involvement with Johnson’s attempted killing, however, these conspiracies have not been confirmed.

Gun issues in America are relevant and this includes drive-by shootings. Fortunately, the shooting was not as deadly as previous mass shootings in America have been, but many shootings end with death.

“I think we have terrible regulations when it comes to guns. For example, you can buy a gun at a gun show without a license so I think better regulations along with better mental health services can prevent things like this from happening,” said Braden Ebert, freshman political science major. 

Since the shooting in December of 2015, similar incidents have increased. Smaller shootings have become more common and have led to large-scale shootings like Orlando or Las Vegas.

Even in the Topeka community, there have been several events of gun violence. Death has also occurred because of this.

The topic of gun control in America has been controversial for years. Political parties battle the solutions to this problem and it causes a lot of disagreement.

Solutions differ from adding more guns and taking laws away. Regardless of one’s opinion, something must be done to solve shooting issues like the one two years ago in Chicago.

College students from all over the country have opinions on the gun debate, especially at Washburn because of the political organizations on campus.

Washburn University Campus Democrats and Campus Republicans both have prominent roles at the university, so both groups are passionate about the topic of gun control.

“I think there are two routes you can take. You can have very little restrictions and require everyone to have a gun like Switzerland, or you can have heavier gun restrictions like requiring psych evaluations, training and limits on how many guns you can have. I prefer the latter but both methods have been effective in other places,” Ebert said. 

In the shooting in Chicago, not all parties were killed or injured seriously. Two were killed in an unfortunate incident but six were able to make it through their injuries.

Americans can become numb to shootings because of the high amount that they experience. It is important to remember events and keep the names of the survivors alive.

King Louie has not been making music since 2015, but he is alive and living to tell his story of his shooting.