Bayley Baker prepares for political dreams

WASHBURN REIVEW

Bayley Baker, junior mass media major with emphasis in public relations and a minor in political science, is active in many extracurriculars, and balances her studies at the same time.

Baker was a senator for WSGA from April 2017 to April 2018, but started to fully assume the role in August 2018. Now, she is the director of marketing for the Washburn Student Government Association, as well as a resident assistant in Lincoln Hall.

“There’s always something new for me to work on,” Baker said. “I get to be involved in everything that WSGA does. If it needs marketing, I get to be involved.”

As director of marketing, she handles the marketing material and promotions, making flyers and posters for around campus, coordinating social media posts, designing digital graphics and communicating over GroupMe, texts and emails.

“I am really thankful because I’ve been given a lot of freedom in WSGA to take my ideas and run with them, do the things that I want to do and experiment with different things,” Baker said. 

WSGA holds several events in the spring. The elections season from mid-February to mid-March is a busy time for Baker. She handles the materials for voting for new student body president and vice president as well as new and returning senators. Baker also designs the materials for giveaways to encourage high voter turnout.

“For me, I really enjoy this position because it’s related to my major, and it’s really important for students to get hands-on experience with what they are learning in the classroom,” Baker said.

Baker is a communications intern at the Greater Topeka partnership, specifically Visit Topeka. She’s also the President of Bods in PR, a public relations student organization on campus. Bods in PR plans the annual mass media keynote speaker event, in conjunction with the Public Relations 2 class.

Erasma Nunez, junior mass media major, believes that Baker is a great professional and friend. 

“Bayley is one of my closest friends both professionally and personally, and she has always been someone I can lean on to help me through any issue I may be facing,” Nunez said. “Bayley is a great friend, leader and inspiration to so many.”

Baker is able to balance her studies and activities through time management.

“Time management is something really important in order to keep your grades up when you also want to pursue all these extracurriculars,” Baker said. “It’s definitely possible, but it takes a discipline and it takes a lot of planning.”

Baker will graduate in 2020, which is also an election year. She hopes to work in political communication and strategies.

“My dream job is to be white house press secretary,” Baker said.

Baker wants to work on a campaign or for a newly elected official. She’s passionate about getting out the vote, specifically among young people and increasing youth voter turnout.

“I am really passionate about my studies, and I think that something that helps is when you are truly invested and interested in what you’re learning about.”