DEAR SMALLS Issue 20

Dear Smalls,

I recently got myself into a predicament and I heard that you answer relationship advice, so here goes..

Long story short, I have been with my girlfriend for 3 years, she doesn’t go to Washburn and has changed so much since I first met her. She started drinking, partying and lying excessively within the past year. I have retained my loyalty this whole time, but I am getting tired of her childish games. She seems to have lost her long-term goals.

I started talking to a girl in class (as friends) but I feel more excited to talk to her, instead of my own girlfriend, what should I do?

-Hopeless romantic

Dear Hopeless Romantic,

Caring for yourself does not make you selfish, nobody can make you happy in any way close to how you can make yourself happy, because nobody knows what makes you happy the way that you do. You are going to college, which means you have goals and you have done what you can to make sure that those goals become attainable, that is important. If the concept of goals is an important trait that you seek in relationships, then nobody should have the power over your own morals to change that.

If you chose to stay with her to avoid hurting her feelings then that’s a waste of your own precious time, love and commitment that you are wasting on her when you can be investing that in yourself or someone else.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, don’t forget how much you’re worth, happiness included, just because of how you feel.

If you need extra counseling before making an immediate decision, Washburn Counseling offers relationship advice as well.

Kuehne Hall, suite 200785-670-3100 Their hours: Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Counseling by phone available 24 hours a day: 785-670-3100 Drop In Appointments are Wednesday 8:00am – 4:00pm

Good luck,

Smalls

Dear Smalls,

Random life question: How can I get cheap glasses?

-batgirl

Dear Batgirl,

Follow my steps for deals on glasses frames. First, go to your eye doctor, get a prescription, do not pay for the frames they offer you, just take the prescription home with you and then download this app called, ‘Unidays’, the app’s skin is a light green with a bold white colored ‘U’. After you download it, enter your student I.D number and then be on your way with student discounts. Order your glasses straight through the app and enjoy your student discounted frames.

Enjoy,

Smalls

Dear Smalls,

How can I make the most of my tax return?

-Smart thinking

Dear Smart thinking,

This is a great question! Open a banking account. Washburn students get set up with the US Bank student account which links to your iCard too! I recently opened up a savings account which is just some extra money to put aside just in case. A savings account does not require a large deposit either, which is the great part!

Also, Washburn offers services called that help students better their financial literacy skills. You can contact, Jamie McEwen, the financial Literacy Coordinator. Her office is located in Morgan 103J.  Her email is [email protected]

Don’t blow your money on food right away, consult with a financial professional.

Trust me,

Smalls