Washburn golf claims victory at home invitational

Follow through: Freshman Chase Dillion takes a shot from the fairway looking to hit the green. Dillion competed as an individual during the Washburn Invite.

The Washburn golf team wrapped up a tournament win on Tuesday afternoon for their fourth tournament victory of the season.

The Ichabods scored the victory over five opposing teams with the top team score in each of the three rounds. They had team scores of 294, 293 and 291 to finish with an overall score of 878. Hutchinson Community College was the second place finisher and Washburn defeated the Blue Dragons by an impressive 20 strokes.

Junior Blake Allen was Washburn’s top performer and also the individual first-place medal winner. Allen was tied for the lead after the first two rounds on day 1 with scores of 71 and 72, and looked to improve upon that on day 2 despite being in the lead.

“Today, I kind of rushed through my practice session and maybe that’s why I didn’t hit it as good as I usually do,” said Allen. “Just get a good night’s rest, eat some food and come out tomorrow and let the course come to me and don’t try to think too far ahead.”

Allen did in fact improve in his third and final round and shot a one-under par 70 to win the tournament by three strokes over his teammate, junior Jared Burns.

Burns finished second with a total score of 216 and round scores of 74, 69 and 73.

Washburn had two more individuals finish in the top-10 with juniors Andrew Beckler and Ian Trebilcock tying for ninth place with a total score of 225. Beckler shot a consistent 75 in all three rounds while Trebilcock shot rounds of 74, 77 and 74.

The last member scoring team points was senior Nathan Roy. On day 1 Roy had an impressive hole-in-one on hole No. 18 to highlight a bright spot on an otherwise disappointing day individually.

“Not very good,” said Roy of his play. “I had about four good holes and everything else was not my best, so a lot of room to work tomorrow.”

The hole-in-one did however seem to brighten Roy’s spirits.

“I joked about it being in the hole on the tee,” said Roy. “But I never expected it to actually be in the hole. It was cool to have both my parents there and to be at home.”

Roy finished tied for 18th place with a total score of 231.

The Ichabods had six players competing as individuals and they all finished between 12th and 23rd place.

Senior Brock Falley and freshman Dawson Wills both carded three round scores of 226. Freshman Jackson Wexler was two strokes behind at 228 and senior Turner Wintz finished with a 232. Rounding out the Ichabods were senior Brooks Brown and freshman Chase Dillion who shot identical scores in all three rounds to each finish with a 233.

Washburn will be back in action on April 5 and 6 at the Shoal Creek Golf Club in Kansas City, Missouri, for the NSIC Preview.