Clarinet Studio Recital showcased students’ performances

Washburn University Clarinet Studio Recital, held by the clarinet studio and the Department of Music featured students’ performances at 6 p.m. at the Carole Chapel on April 4, 2019. Karen Benda, lecturer of Clarinet, helped to organize the recital and pianist Cathy Altman was the accompanist of the recital.

Victoria McManus, senior music education major, was one of the students who performed at the recital.

“It’s so much fun,” said McManus. “The best part of this major is being able to perform and share the music with everyone else.”

Elizabeth Fleischman, freshman music performance major, was one of the student performers.

“In our preparation, we learned what do we need to do more, what do we not need to do,” said Fleischman.

The recital began with Karen Benda’s introduction.

“Both majors, minors and non-majors, everyone taking lessons gets ready to perform,” said Benda. “Our Clarinet Studio Recital is where we get an exposure of playing before we go and do this as an exam at the end of the semester.”

Eight students, all taking clarinet classes, showcased their clarinet skills at the recital.

“Being able to perform with others takes a bit of the edge of anxiety off, especially for the younger students in the studio,” said McManus.

Danielle McEathron performed Nocturne by Luigi Bassi (1833 – 1871). Emili Folster played Concerto No. 10 in B-flat major, Andante Sostenuto by Carl Stamitz (1745 – 1801). Max Ashworth presented Sonata OP. 167, Allegretto by Camille Saint-Saëns (1835 – 1921). Victoria McManus performed Concertino in D minor by Lerroy Ostransky (1918 – 1993). Dakota Jeter performed Fantasy for Solo Clarinet by Malcolm Arnold (1921 – 2006). Shelby Castor played La Clemenza di Tit: Parto, Parto K. 621 by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756 – 1791). Elizabeth Fleischman performed Sonata Op. 167, Allegretto, Allegro animato by Camille Saint-Saëns (1835 – 1921). Kristina Hernandez performed Fantasy by Philippe Gaubert (1879 – 1941).

“This is probably three months’ worth of work for the basic clarinet piece,” said McManus. “This (the performance) is one of my better ones. It’s my last one so it’s the better one.”

The Clarinet Studio Recital takes place towards the end of each semester to show students’ skills. It’s for upper level clarinet classes. It’s often in mid-April, but this year it was a bit early. In the fall semester, it’s usually in November.

“I know myself and Dakota are both performance majors, we’ll go on probably to master’s program,” said Fleischman. “This also will help us to prepare something and present something.”

The clarinet studio at Washburn has much to offer students in their musical journey. The Department of Music offers performing opportunities in the Symphony Orchestra, Wind Ensemble, University Band and numerous chamber music ensembles including the Clarinet Ensemble.

“For me, this recital was an extra performance to play for a crowd before I am tested on my ability to perform a recital at the end of this month,” said McManus.