V-LAW participates in Toys for Tots

Elissa Jones

To promote goodwill during this holiday season, a sub-committee consisting of the Veteran’s Legal Association at Washburn and Washburn faculty and staff has chosen to participate in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots program.

Since so many local families do not have the financial means available to create those special holiday memories for their children, this program provides donated gifts to children from infant to 18 years old. With a deadline of Dec. 1, the committee hoped to collect 250 toys, as well as monetary donations from Washburn campus faculty, staff and students.

“V-LAW, faculty and staff did a real good job last year,” said Vicki Doze, library assistant in the Washburn Law School Library. “The goal for the last holiday season was 200 toys, and they ended up donating 498 toys.”

In addition to exceeding their toy goal last year, they also collected monetary donations from V-LAW, Washburn faculty, staff and students.

Due to the positive results from last year’s toy drive, the committee increased their goal to 250 toys for this season. They also collected monetary donations this year to support this worthwhile cause. Members of the Marine Corps came to Washburn Dec. 1 to pick up the donations during a special holiday reception.

The Union Bookstore also promoted the efforts of the campaign by providing special savings on items that were purchased from their store and donated to the toy drive.

The committee is hoping to meet their goal again this year and discreetly provide Topeka children with a nice holiday. 

The U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots program was established in 1947. With continued efforts and assistance from organizations like V-LAW and the Washburn campus faculty, staff and students, the Toys for Tots program will continue to create special memories for children in the Topeka area each holiday season.