WSGA to focus on leadership in spring semester

Faith Griffin

The WSGA spirit committee will be hosting a series of events and activities, during the week of Feb. 13, to celebrate the 141st birthday of Washburn. This week has been named “I love Washburn” week.

The spirit committee will be giving out paraphernalia, like “I Love WU” buttons, to support the Ichabods and Lady Blues during the week. They will also incorporate Valentine’s Day with school spirit.

Acquire an Acquaintance, which will also be part of this week, is an annual date auction that is hosted by the Washburn Black Student Union at 8 p.m. Feb.13 in the Washburn Room.

“Acquire an Acquaintance is a lot of fun and everyone should come out to buy someone or just come for the entertainment,” said Tamika Carter, sophomore criminal justice major and vice president of WBSU.

At 11 a.m. Tuesday, Feb. 14, WSGA will sponsor Decorate a Cookie day, and the Bod Squad will host a pep rally later that evening in the Living Learning Center.

On Wednesday, Feb. 15, CAB will be hosting Tunes at Noon.

“This gives student bands a chance to showcase what they can do,” said Brian Flax, a senior sports management major. “It also provides an up beat mood in the union.”

The music varies from acoustic guitar to a full amplified show. CAB will be doing this on a monthly basis.

Also on Wednesday there will be a sign decorating contest. The signs that the students make can be brought to the basketball games.

“This week is also emphasizing the rivalry between Washburn and Emporia State,” said Josh Shald, junior history major and chair of the spirit committee.

The Ichabods and Lady Blue basketball teams will be playing against Emporia State Wednesday night. The Lady Blues will be playing at 5:30 p.m. and the Ichabods will play at 7:30 p.m. in Lee Arena.

The spirit committee encourages students to wear the Blue Out shirt to the games.

Thursday students will also be able to take a picture with Washburn’s mascot, the Ichabod.

“This week encourages a positive atmosphere of school spirit and to start a new tradition on campus,” said Shald.