Lecture series bringing sitcom star to speak with students

Victoria Garcia

For those growing up in the early 90’s, “Saved by the Bell” is remembered as a timeless and popular classic. The story line lived by Jessie, Kelly, Lisa, Screech, Slater, Zack and Mr. Belding entertained millions during its 90-episode television run.

So it’s no wonder that Washburn students, faculty and staff as well as the Topeka community are anticipating the upcoming visit of actor and storyteller Dennis Haskins at 8:30 p.m. Thursday, April 17 in the Union Market, Memorial Union. Haskins, who played the role of Mr. Belding on the show, is scheduled to entertain the audience with a humorous and motivational presentation that, while based on the journey of his career, will emphasize the importance of leadership.

Although tickets cost $5 for the general public, they are free with a Washburn I.D. card. However, students are still required to present an actual ticket to be admitted into the event. Tickets are available in the Campus Activities Board office, located on the lower level of the Memorial Union.

Mike Dillion, CAB president, has seen Haskins perform once before and said he is excited to have him on the Washburn campus.

“We were first approached about bringing Haskins here by the School of Business,” said Dillion. “The president of Washburn Sales and Marketing Executives, Brian Haug, has played a huge role in making this happen.”

Haug developed sponsorships that assisted the event financially while Dillion, along with CAB, took care of the advertising and contract portion. Dillion said he put a lot of work into creating a number of flyers that are appearing on campus, as he thinks this will help generate even more student interest.

“This event should definitely have a positive turnout, especially because there are only 400 tickets available,” said Kat Conoley, CAB community director. “It’s a big thing. He’s from ‘Saved by the Bell’ and his face is recognizable.”

The upcoming event, known as “Mr. Belding on Campus,” is also being advertised on Facebook and currently has 157 members. Sophomore Elizabeth Berland, who grew up watching “Saved by the Bell” on television, is one student looking forward to the event.

“It’s going to be such a different experience to see him outside of his Mr. Belding character,” said Berland. “Seeing Mr. Belding’s name on all of those posters for the event was such a blast from the past and I think it’ll be an entertaining evening.”