Gender Brown Bag series to start this week

Abbie Barth, Copy Editor and Freelance Reporter

The Gender Brown Bag series begins its tenth year this week at noon on Monday, Sept. 9.

The first of the series will be presented by Mary Sundal, an associate professor of anthropology. She will share her fieldwork in Uganda where she encountered displaced Karimojong mothers.

According to Lindsey Ibanez, assistant professor of sociology, the series is an educational opportunity to learn and discuss gender.

“The Gender Brown Bag series is an opportunity for members of the Washburn community to come together to discuss and learn about issues related to gender,” said Ibanez.

The topics are chosen by professors or faculty that are interested in being a part of the series.

“I send out a call at the beginning of the semester, and people who are interested in presenting respond to the call and propose their idea. While all the presentations relate to gender in some way, the topics vary quite a lot,” said Ibanez.

The series has been going on for 10 years and covers various aspects of gender.

“Earlier series have included panel discussions about lactation rooms, women in STEM, women’s athletics, and other issues that affect the lives of Washburn students, faculty and staff,” said Ibanez.

The talks are open and free to all Washburn community members. This semester will feature a wide variety of topics.

“We have a great lineup of talks on topics ranging from female breadwinners to sexual consent education and more,” said Ibanez.

Below is the official Gender Brown Bag series schedule.

Mary Sundal, “Kampala Street Roundup and Resettlement Abuses,” Monday September 9 at 12 noon, Cottonwood Room, Memorial Union

This past summer, the Ugandan Ministry of Gender, Labour and Social Development instituted yet another set of “roundups” to clear city streets of migrants and the displaced, most of whom are women and children. Dr. Mary Sundal, Associate Professor of Anthropology, will explain how the current program is an extension of the 2014 and 2007 campaigns that targeted displaced Karimojong who were subjected to public harassment, unsafe living conditions, and brutal resettlement policies in an effort to “clean” the city streets.  Sundal’s presentation will incorporate ethnographic accounts from displaced and resettled Karimojong mothers, collected during her fieldwork in Uganda.

Jericho Hockett, “‘Some people might even consider that rape’: How WU’s consent education may affect students’ responses to sexual consent violations,” Tuesday, September 17 at noon, Cottonwood Room, Memorial Union

A small-N, quasi-experimental study examined how WU students with vs. without sexual assault prevention education behaviorally responded to another student who reported that her sexual consent was violated. We expected individuals with the education would respond more prosocially; would perceive the confederate more positively; and would identify more violations of consent than respondents without the education.  Dr. Hockett, Associate Professor of Psychology, will discuss the results in the context of research on the effectiveness of sexual assault education programs.

Bradley Siebert, “Constituted for Conflict: Pacifist-Aggressive Peace-Breaking over LGBTQ-Inclusion in Mennonite Church USA, “Monday, October 7 at noon, Cottonwood Room, Memorial Union

Dr. Siebert, assistant professor of English, specializing in rhetoric and writing, will discuss the textual bases for the small- and large-scale schisms — as acts of social violence — that this Mennonite denomination has experienced over LGBTQ-inclusion since its inception in 2002. Dr. Siebert’s study considers how Mennonites think of themselves as “discernment communities,” collectives that collaborate in deciding how to act as Christians in the world. Particularly, he will discuss how the denomination’s “foundational documents” set them up for an unfortunate fall by positioning LGBTQ-inclusion as a crucial wedge issue.

Zenova Williams, “‘Marrying Down’: Women as Breadwinners,” Wednesday, Oct. 23 at noon, Cottonwood Room, Memorial Union

The landscape of marriage and relationships of modern couples has changed since the 1950s era of Leave it to Beaver. Role expectations and relationship responsibilities have become much more diverse in recent decades. Where women were once primarily tasked with child-rearing, they have moved to taking on an additional task of being a provider. And more recently, it is not uncommon for women to be primary breadwinners of the household. The expectations of being a primary breadwinner also varies across race and culture and can have important relationship implications. Women who have earned higher levels of degrees, income, and status may consider “marrying down” as an option. Dr. Williams, Assistant Professor of Human Services, will discuss the concept of “marrying down”, the implication of women in the U.S. society being primary breadwinners, and the racial implications of this form of relationship.

Louella Moore, “The Role of Women and Children in the Bread and Roses Textile Strike of 1912,” Thursday, Oct. 24 at noon, Cottonwood Room, Memorial Union

On February 9, 2019, Elizabeth Warren launched her formal run for President of the United States at a rally in Lawrence, Massachusetts, the site of the 1912 Bread and Roses Textile Strike.  What was the symbolism of that site? This talk will explore what remains a highly controversial case that illustrates the role played by women and children in the early twentieth century labor movement. Dr. Moore, Professor of Accounting, will also discuss why the U.S., despite being an industrial world power, did not have a worker’s revolution and does not have a labor party.

Laura Murphy, “Getting in and staying in: Promoting gender equity in STEM,” Thursday Oct. 31 at 12:30 p.m., Cottonwood Room, Memorial Union

Although female students are entering STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) programs in record numbers, observers have pointed to the problem of a “leaky pipeline” – women drop out of science careers at each successive stage. Dr. Laura Murphy, Assistant Professor of Anthropology, will address some of the reasons for the leaky pipeline, including negative self-talk among girls and the high risk of sexual harassment and assault for students participating in field schools or conducting field research. She will also will discuss programs that serve to increase female participation in STEM as well as areas that need improvement.

Michelle Watson and Patricia Dahl, “Exploring the Invisibility of Boy Victims of Violence,” Thursday, Nov. 14 at noon, Lincoln Room, Memorial Union

Most of the research literature examining victimization has focused on girls and women, often omitting the experiences of boys and men. As a result, less is known about the struggles and realities of young males who fall victim to violent acts. Michelle Watson, Assistant Professor of Legal Studies, and Patricia Dahl, Associate Professor of Criminal Justice, will share their conclusions from a recent book chapter they co-authored, which sheds light on the need for more research, understanding, and public awareness regarding the victimization of boys.

Edited by Jessica Galvin, Brianna Smith