2010 WSGA election candidates announced

Unite, Progress, Excite Caley Onek and Lucas Mullin announce their candidacy for president and vice president in the 2010 WSGA election. Onek and Mullin’s slogan is “Unite, Progress, Excite,” which illustrates the objectives set for their term, if elected.

The new candidates for the 2010 Washburn Student Government Association’s presidential election were announced Feb.3 at the Capitol Building in the old Supreme Court Room.

Running for President is Caley Onek, who is currently the vice president of WSGA. Onek is a junior, and has a double major of business marketing and sports management. Onek, from El Dorado, Kan., has worked in the administrator’s office for three years and is involved in a number of organizations. She enjoys being at Washburn and loves serving the student body.

“We have the best jobs in the world,” said Onek. “We want Washburn to be the best it can be.”  

Her vice presidential candidate, Lucas Mullin, feels the same about his time here at Washburn. Mullin is currently the WSGA chief of staff and was a president of the Greek Council. Mullin is a junior majoring in public administration. He worked in Washburn President Jerry Farley’s office for two years, and is from Eureka, Kan.

The theme of their campaign is, “Unite, Progress and Excite,” a slogan that ties into the objectives they’ve stated for their term if elected. They want to maintain a relationship between students and faculty, progress forward, work toward sustainability and make Washburn a great experience while reaching out to more students.

Also up for election during the March 3-5 WSGA elections will be 27 senate seats. Washburn students will be able to see candidates and cast their votes online.

“I’m excited for students to get involved in the election process for this year as they have a big voice in the future direction of Washburn University,” said Garrett Love, current WSGA president.