Business competition brings in innovative ideas

Abbie Barth, Copy Editor and Freelance Reporter

The five finalists of the Washburn School of Business Pitch Competition presented their ideas with the hopes of taking home the big prize, Thursday, Oct. 17.

Abigail McCrory, sophomore business major, took first place in the competition with her idea of a mobile coffee shop that would take her family’s coffee shop to the next level.

“I am very blessed to have been given this opportunity. It’s awesome to have won and have all my family and mentors here to celebrate with me,” said McCrory.

McCrory’s coffee truck idea is one that she has been wanting to do for a long time, way before this competition.

“This is an idea that’s always been in the works. Grounded is a family business, and part of me always knew that I wanted to take it further.” said McCrory.

In second place was Taylor Jacobsen with an idea of a Zamboni type device to clean grain bins. He came up with idea when he was working on a farm.

In third place was Chase Brill and Elias Overby with a scavenger hunt app that combines entertainment, activity, and discounts. In fourth place was Jesus Gallegos with an autopilot drone that could be used for home or property surveillance. In fifth place was Yuto Hirayama with a online matching service for people wanting to improve their English.

Additionally, Benjamin Price won the top freshman entry with a fitness training suit and Harold Slack won top Washburn Tech entry with an idea to convert gas cars into electric cars.

Each of these winners received a financial award courtesy of Go Topeka. The School of Business plans to hold its seventh annual pitch competition next fall.

“It’s awesome to be a part of such a great school that provides students the opportunities to excel,” said McCrory.

Edited by Adam White, Jada Johnson, Jessica Galvin