Kid Ink to perform at WU Stock 2019

Abbie Barth, Copy Editor and Freelance Reporter

WU Stock is a concert that Washburn puts on every two years. The majority of funding comes from WSGA, with additional money from campus and community sponsors. Two directors are chosen for the event, and, with support from WSGA and the Campus Activities Board, they organize the event and everything surrounding it.

This year, the two directors of the event are Kim Korber, junior mass media major, and Jack Siebert, senior communications major.

“We did go…back and forth trying to pick an artist. And then once we had decided on Kid Ink, we did go back and forth quite a bit before the contract and everything was signed. So, I wouldn’t say that it was super difficult, but it definitely like wasn’t easy,” said Korber.

Rapper Kid Ink was chosen based on feedback received by students on social media through a poll, and the schedules of the university and the artist lined up.

“It worked out that he was the one that students wanted and he was also available,” said Korber.

The first WU Stock was back in 1996, and they have been happening every two years since.

One of the students excited to go to the concert is Taylor Keller, junior entrepreneurship major.

“I bought tickets as a surprise for my girlfriend, and she was like ‘no way! I listened to him when I was like seven.’ And I was like ‘of course,” said Keller.

The American rapper will be coming to campus at 6 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 6 in Lee Arena. Tickets for the event are $20 for the general public and $5 for students. Tickets need to be purchased prior to the concert and are available in the Memorial Union from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. throughout the week. They can also be purchased online at wutickets.com

“We’re just giving students a chance to come in and see a concert on campus at a very affordable rate that’s really professionally done,” said Korber.

Edited by Brianna Smith, Jessica Galvin, Shelby Hanson