Tips for balancing a budget

Image Courtesy of http

Richard Kelly

With new, exciting steps come new responsibilities. Moving onto campus is no different.

As if transitioning into a brand new environment wasn’t enough change, students now have to deal with budgeting their money. While students on campus have meal plans to help pay breakfast, lunch and dinner costs, some students will have to begin saving portions of their paychecks, pay tuition out of pocket, pay their own phone bills, and develop ways to end college debt free.

Daniel Furman, from Lee Summit, Mo., lived with one of his best friends’ parents for the last five years. Now in the LLC, Furman recently got a job at Target for 15-20 hours per week. Furman was adamant about trying to support himself and not put any pressure on anyone else.

While he has some financial aid, he’s otherwise funding college completely on his own. So, his first step to saving money starts with cutting down on outside food costs. He said that’s one of his biggest expenses he has in a month.

“I try to eat here on campus and save a lot of money doing that. I’d probably spend like $500 a month eating out otherwise,” said Furman.

He also is prepared to leave college with a small amount of debt but plans on keeping his finances fairly stable by saving at least some money from each paycheck.

Ryan Schademann of Kansas City, Kan., is also a freshman living on campus for the fall semester. This is his first time living out of his home and is receiving a small amount of financial aid and assistance from his parents but is funding the rest on his own. While he isn’t getting a job just yet, Schademann plans on doing so once he’s settled in to school.

Students are still getting adjusted to their college life, some of these realities have not sunk in completely with the prospect of moving out still exists fresh in their minds.

“I don’t think its hit me yet,” said Schademann. “But up until now, this has just been exciting for me. I’ve been waiting for this for 18 years.”