Homecoming parade marches on

Kansas Representative Brenda Dietrich (left) stepping away from the pouncing dog.

Savannah Workman, Journalist

At 10 a.m. Oct. 26, families scattered waiting patiently around the perimeter of Washburn campus for candy to be thrown to them from a line of decorated moving vehicles.

Students decorated floats to represent their organizations. The children were elated that they received their sugar fix to last them a couple days, as well as dancing to music from each float as they passed by in a single line.

Leading this march of victory, was the Washburn Marching Band playing “Jump” by Van Halen. Isaac Bird and Shelby Herring led the group of Homecoming court in an emerald-green Porsche which was the same color as Herring’s dress. Bird and Herring were victorious in search of the crown and the hearts of adoring fans.

“My cheeks still hurt from smiling,” said Herring. “I think it’s nice to see people happy. I did like Alpha Phi’s float because I could hear their music the whole time, and they were playing really good songs. So that was really great for the music theme.”

The organizations for the floats as well as the theme for each year, are thanks to the quick minds and the strong hands of the Office of Student Involvement and Development, the WSGA, and a significant amount of student voices, according to James Barraclough, director of undergraduate initiatives.

Kayli Goodheart, director of campus and community affairs, is majoring in forensic studies, and took ownership of piecing together a puzzle of people and floats. Goodheart recalled that the process started in August.

“I started collecting information on what we did last year and the last couple of years,” said Goodheart. “We started making sign ups (for people to walk in the parade) in early September. It takes a few months.”

Goodheart said that good communication is something that she strives to continually improve each year with regard to volunteers, directing the pace of the walk around campus while security officers on horses patrol the area.

A variety of music genres moved the audience, including pop, rap and country. Herring remembered singing along to “Copperhead Road” by Steve Earle while Goodheart enjoyed two cellists from the Washburn Cello float playing “Smooth Criminal” by Michael Jackson hooked up to amps.

Edited by Adam White, Jada Johnson, Jason Morrison