Washburn senior’s art exhibit opens to public

A portrait of self Deedra Baker displays her work in the John R. Adams Gallery of the Washburn art building. Baker’s artwork attempts to question what being a female means in modern society, among other topics.

Press Release

“Introspection,” a senior exhibition by Washburn University student Deedra Baker, is being shown March 14 – April 1 at the John R. Adams Gallery of the Washburn University art building.

The exhibition contains photographic and installation-based artwork employing self-portraiture as a device to explore Baker’s own physicality and psychology.

Through the art she examines herself, the roles of women and  how others view women and their position in society, the pieces continually question what it means to be a female in today’s society and address similar issues in relation to Baker’s own personal existence.

Baker, of El Dorado, Kan., is a member of Phi Kappa Phi and the Top Hat Chapter of Alpha Lambda Delta honor societies and is named in the 2011 edition of Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges. In 2010, her work was included in the student art show at the Mulvane Art Museum and she participated in a summer art and theatre study abroad program in London. She is pursuing a bachelor of fine arts degree.

Designated as a capstone requirement, each senior is responsible for all aspects of his or her one-person show:  publicity, framing, labels, hanging and reception, if one is desired. The exhibition must feature more than one art medium, since Washburn grants a general bachelor of fine arts degree. All BFA majors are required to present a senior show as the capstone experience of their degree.

Faculty evaluate the senior shows based not only on the quality of artwork, but also on the presentation within the gallery setting.  The seniors may also submit their works for the student exhibition which is juried by an outside artist and staged each year at the Mulvane Art Museum.

According to Glenda Taylor, chair of the art department, the individual senior show is a unique  opportunity available to Washburn students.

“Many schools offer only group shows or only have individual shows  at the graduate level.  We are fortunate to have gallery space and faculty who help our seniors prepare work to  standards for exhibition.  The senior show provides our BFA students with a significant capstone experience to  their degree,” she said.

No admission is charged and the galleries are open 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday.  An opening reception will be from 6 to 8 p.m. March 18.

For information, call (785)670-1125.