Education Career Fair to showcase opportunities

Matthew L. Self, Review Editor in Chief

Career Services at Washburn University will be hosting its final event for the year this Friday during the Education Career Fair at the Memorial Union.

The fair will be followed by interviews. This event is open to Washburn students of all fields, not just those majors dealing solely with education. It will provide a variety of jobs in the local area.

“This is really an opportunity for students to come and explore different career options in the field of education,” said Dana Nordyke, career services specialist. “This is not just for the education students who should attend, but rather, students who are still curious about what their major should be, or those looking for a job within the school system.”

Positions are available for social workers, lab workers, school psychologists, junior ROTC instructors, STEM and psychology specialists, school nurses, early education coordinators and more.

“You have nothing to lose by coming to this event and chatting with people,” said Nordyke. “Many of these professionals are either graduates of Washburn or they’re familiar with recruiting students, so they know how to make that conversation comfortable. This fair is a great way to get your foot in the door and practice your interview skills.”

Booths from over 20 different employers will be at the event looking to hire students for part-time and full-time positions. Arkansas City USD 470, Chanute Public Schools USD 413, Shawnee Heights USD 450 and Shawnee Mission School District, among others, will be in attendance. For the full list of possible employers, go online to Handshake.com.

The fair will take place Friday, Nov. 22 starting at 9:30 a.m. and lasting until 11:30 a.m. in the Memorial Union’s Washburn Room. Interviews will begin at noon and run until 4 p.m. for students who have found prospective employers.

“Before I came to Washburn, I always wondered why the students were so much better prepared professionally than other universities, and now I know why,” said Craig Carter, a Washburn Professor of Education. “Career Services really provides a good foundation for our students to be prepared, and then to do a good job when they’re actually being interviewed.”

This event may be the last one hosted by Career Services this year, but more will follow next year with the Spring Resume Roadshow on Feb. 17 and the Spring Career Fair Feb. 19.

Edited by Adam White, Jackson Woods, Jason Morrison