Washburn Tech student receives first place Jerry Frese Award from SCRS

Beau Gault is holds the Jerry Frese award and his prize.

As they announced the name for the first place Jerry Frese Award,Beau Gaultcould not believe it.  Had they actually just called his name?  The only thing going through his head now was “wow, I did it, I won.”

Beau Gault, of Kingman, Kan., a student at Washburn Tech, received the first place award at the Society of Collision Repair Specialists (SCRS) Night of Achievement held recently in Overland Park.

The Night of Achievement is a celebration of collision repair technical education.  The highlight of the evening is the presentation of the Jerry Frese Award to the top three collision repair technical students in the Missouri and Kansas area.  The award recognizes excellence in all aspects of scholastic life, including technical skill and community involvement.  Each finalist receives a trophy in addition to tool credits for first, second and third place.

The Missouri/Kansas SCRS chapter consists of professionals from all segments of the collision industry working together to expand and improve the industry and open lines of communication through training opportunities, forums and involved cooperation. 

The MO-KAN Night of Achievement has awarded students for their accomplishments for 20 years. This is the first time that a Washburn Tech student has received the first place trophy.

Gault said that it is a great feeling winning this award.

“It lets people know that our teachers are doing their job,” said Gault

Both of Gault’s instructors in the Collision Repair program have taken great pride in giving him the necessary academic tools that are required for the technicians of today, and have also thoroughly enjoyed watching him excel on his way into his new career as a collision repair technician.

The Collision Repair program offers a hands-on, 28 credit technical certificate that prepares individuals to apply technical knowledge and skills to repair and refinish all types of vehicles. Instruction includes Inter-Industry Conference on Auto Collision Repair (I-CAR) Enhanced Delivery Curriculum.  National Automobile Technician Education Foundation (NATEF) standards are utilized to meet industry requirements.

Gault said that winning this award certainly makes him feel like his hard work at Washburn Tech. has paid off.

Gault just graduated from Washburn Tech and hopes to get his associates from Washburn University.