Great Wall receives great feedback

Crab rangoons and egg rolls

I have been going to Great Wall for more than five years now and it hasn’t changed a bit. Lunch is inexpensive, portions are large and the service is good.  They deliver anywhere in Topeka and they are quick – I don’t think I have waited over half an hour for the food.  What more could a tired college student ask for?

I always get a large order of crab rangoons because they are my favorite. The combos come with an egg roll and two crab rangoons and I usually ask for two egg rolls instead of the crab rangoon and they let me do it – they like to accomadate.  The lunch combo only comes with one crab rangoon so if I get lunch I usually just take it and order a side of egg rolls.  Not only do you get enough to take home with you, the price is low and the food is fresh.

They offer all the traditional Chinese restaurant offerings – chicken, pork or beef choice for each dish – lo mein, cashew chicken, general Tso’s chicken, beef and broccoli, chow mein and many more.  I always eye the “Flaming Pu Pu Platter” but have not yet gotten it – the flames scare me.  I usually get the Lo Mein or the sesame chicken, which are my two favorites, and they don’t bother me as leftovers, which are usually abundant here.

I recently ordered the sesame chicken and it was to die for.  Unlike most Chinese restaurants where the cook seemingly makes one huge batch and uses that throughout the night, Great Wall serves it up fresh. It comes steaming hot and still crispy, not soggy and over-sauced.  I could tell it was fresh because when the waitress brought my plate it was steaming and I couldn’t eat it right away.  You can tell the food comes off the wok straight to your mouth, as fresh as it gets.

As I said before, my favorite side is the crab rangoons – wontons wrapped around crab-flavored cream cheese mixture and deep-fried to golden perfection.  The reason I enjoy these more than any others from around town, is because they add a little something extra, which to me tastes like a hint of nutmeg.  This adds another dimension to the flavor, a spiciness not found elsewhere that leaves me always wanting more. 

The actual restaurant is pretty old, but I just look at it like they are experienced in what they do.  Just looking at the building you know it’s been put to use, the carpet is shaggy and the walls have peeling wallpaper, yet it all just adds to the experience.

Because Great Wall is right across the street from campus,  students can either walk there for lunch or have them deliver, which would be pretty quick.  They are located in the shopping center Northeast of campus beside the Quik Shop.  Their hours are 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 11 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.  on Sundays.