Farley announces $10,000 grant to regents

Once a month, the Washburn Board of Regents meet inside of the halls of the Memorial Union at Washburn University.

This month, Washburn University President Jerry B. Farley began the meeting by introducing Washburn’s newest professor, Floyd Davinforth, followed by a round of applause from board members.

The board then moved to discuss other features and events that Farley said deserved credit.

Phi Kappa Phi, a scholarly organization, had recently inducted a group of students in from the current junior and senior class. Only the top seven percentile is allowed into the organization.

The next order of business was recognizing the Washburn School of Business, which recently placed fourth in a global and international competition. Three hundred universities compete in the competition.

“This speaks highly of the professors and students in this University,” said Farley.

The board, along with president Farley, next wanted to personally congratulate the men’s head basketball coach, Bob Chipman for his 700th win and for being Washburn’s all time winningest coach.

President Farley then went on to inform the board of exciting news regarding the Mulvane Art Museum.

“We were just notified that Challenge America has given a $10,000 grant to the Mulvane Art Museum,” said Farley.

The grant will assist in helping the staff support an exhibit on industrial nature and a Japanese origami exhibit.

The next announcement that Farley spoke of involved the students at Washburn Institute of Technology. Recently, students produced their first full automobile that was completely refurbished, and they donated it to a family in Topeka, which was in need of a vehicle.

“There was a large ceremony,” said Farley. “It was a very emotional Christmas gift for the family.”

The meeting then moved to discussion of the motion to raise the salary of the staff members at Washburn University. The board moved back and forth between banters for and against the motion. The defense motion stated that students already have enough debt and that the university should be focusing on assisting the future of the students more than themselves.

Though the defense motion was not approved in the end, those for the motion argued that regardless of the raise, the university would not raise any salaries without proper funding, and the raise would not cost students.

The board agreed to consider raising the salary of the staff, but only when there was a funding opportunity given that wouldn’t create chaos with the other financial standards.