Greek Programs Director Sought for 2013

AJ Dome, Washburn Review

Any members of Washburn Greek Life seeking a student job for the future?

Campus Activities Board is currently looking for a qualified candidate to fill the position of Greek Programs Director for the upcoming 2013 school year. This is a brand new position, created after Greek Council voted to abandon their current format during their last meeting.

During that meeting, a proposal was brought to the table. Instead of having bi-weekly meetings with two delegates from each Greek organization present, CAB would now employ one person to keep in contact with Washburn’s Greek organizations. Each fraternity and sorority would designate one delegate to communicate and work with the Greek Programs Director. The delegates would not be required to attend any meetings, and would meet with the director on an as-needed basis.

This proposal passed with a 6-3 vote during that meeting.

“Even though I was against this change, I think it will save us a lot of time and make Greek Life more efficient,” said Anthony Ho, sophomore education and psychology major. Ho was a member of executive staff on Greek Council. “It will make our events more beneficial and more worthwhile to Washburn.”

The Greek Programs Director will work with Washburn’s fraternities and sororities to design, plan and market events and activities throughout the school year. This person must attend all CAB events and be well organized, as they will be working on many different projects during the semester. 

The final candidate for this position will go through an application and interview process. IFC and the Panhellenic Council will approve the final candidate for the job. 

The deadline for this application is Wednesday, Nov. 28. If this deadline is not met, Gary Handy, assistant director of SAGL, said the deadline will be pushed back until a suitable candidate has applied. So far, there have been no applications or interested students.

“For this person’s sake, we want to hire someone as soon as possible, so that they can get settled into their position right away and not feel overwhelmed by the job,” said Handy.

Applications can be picked up in the SAGL office in the lower level of the Memorial Union. They are also available online at www.wuevents.com, or by directly contacting SAGL Director Jessica Barraclough at [email protected]