Washburn welcomes new OSID director

New OSID director: Washburn University plans to welcome Isaiah Collier as the new director of student involvement and development. Collier will begin his appointment Jan. 27, 2020.

Wesley Tabor & Savannah Workman

Washburn University has selected Isaiah Collier as its new director of student involvement and development.

Collier is currently the Assistant Dean of Student Development at Missouri Western State University, a position he has held since 2011.

Collier is replacing Jessica Barraclough, who left in December 2018 to join the United Way of Greater Shawnee County. Collier will begin his new appointment Jan. 27, 2020, one week following the start of the spring semester.  

“Isaiah brings experience with campus activities, student organizations, Greek Life and student government. We are incredibly fortunate that a professional with his background and experience chose to join our team,” said Grospitch.

According to Grospitch on Jan. 6 in an email to students, faculty and staff, earned both his Bachelor of Arts degree in social work and a Master of Education with a focus on Higher Education Administration from the University of Akron. Collier is an Ohio native, a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc and has served as an instructor at both Eastern Illinois University and Missouri Western University.

At Washburn, Collier will advise the Washburn Student Government Association, Campus Activities Board, Fraternity and Sorority Life and student organizations management.

Collier’s focus is on student needs and raises expectations of students learning outside of a classroom setting with enriching experiences. His goal is to develop students into the leaders he knows they can be.

“I want students to know I continuously advocate on their behalf and work at creating an inclusive environment,” said Collier about his new placement. “This opportunity will allow me to continue my work in this field while building strong connections with the student body.”

Collier also hopes to provide opportunities connecting students to professors and beyond.

“I have a passion for working with students,” said Collier. “My goal is to help students as they matriculate to college in hopes to prepare them to be global citizens who are ready to be productive members of society.”

Collier has a job that creates bridges between students and staff, one foot in each door, pulling potential from every corner.

“It’s something that I currently do now,” said Collier. “You have to abdicate on behalf of students and I think that’s part of my job. But you also have to be willing to work with staff and build and cultivate those relationships.”

OSID will also have a new office space to call home. Construction on the main level of the memorial union will continue into the beginning of the semester with what plans to be the new home of university scheduling and the office of student involvement and development.

Edited by Adam White, Abbie Barth