The Big Event: small idea, big deal

Washburn’s Big Event starts with a small idea: Helping others.  But that small idea is a big deal.  This year the event takes place on Saturday, April 13 from 9 a.m. to 3:30pm.  It provides the students of Washburn University with the opportunity to say “Thank You” to the community of Topeka for their continued support throughout the years.

The Big Event started at Texas A&M University as a day of a day of community service, and has expanded to multiple colleges across the nation.  Washburn Student Government Association members brought the event to Washburn after they returned from attending conference at Texas A&M few years back and learning of the success of the program.

Washburn has traditionally had a day of community service, most formerly known as Bods in the Street.  “We stopped doing it, but then there were some students said no, this needs to be apart of our campus community, our campus culture and they brought the Big Event to Washburn.” Said Director of Student Activities And Greek Life, Jessica Neumann.

“Last year was the first year that we hosted Washburn’s Big Event and we had just under 200 participants.  This year we already have over 250 people registered for the event, and we’re going out to more sites as well.”  She said.

The morning of the 13th, students and volunteers will arrive on campus, meeting at Whiting Field House to be fed as part of a kick off event, then be bused to various service spots around Topeka to begin their jobs.

“It could be going to Helping Hands Humane Society and helping with the animals; taking a dog for a walk, going into the play area for exercise, or brushing their fur,” said Neumann. “They have gone out to different school districts and painted the school’s playground.  Sometimes it’s just going to a park and picking up garbage or pulling weeds or planting flowerbeds.  Anything from putting packaged can goods together for pick up by the needy, or cleaning up parks.  A lot of different opportunities within Topeka.”

Anyone is welcome to join in, students or otherwise.  Interested parties are encouraged to register, which has been extended to this Friday, March 29 and can be done though the following website: http://www.mywsga.com/the-big-event/

For more information, check out the Big Event on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Washburns-Big-Event/335620006481780 or email Chase Sax [email protected] for more information.

Sax could not be reached for comment.