Stringer finishes career at WU

Senior outside hitter Corrinne Stringer spikes the ball in the game against University of Central Missouri on Saturday in Washburn’s Lee Arena. The Bods lost 0-3, but Stringer led the team with 13 kills and hit .345 coming off the bench. Washburn will return to the road to play Northwest Missouri State at 7p.m Oct 25.

Corrinne Stringer brings her competitive play home for her final year playing volleyball.

Stringer started playing volleyball in a Y league and joined the Topeka Juniors in fifth grade because she didn’t want to stop playing. From there, Stringer became a two-time 4-A player of the year, a four-time all-state honoree with three of those years being first team and 2007 state champion for volleyball at Hayden High School in Topeka.

Stringer truly believes she accomplished this because of hard work.

“If you want something, you have to work for it,” her dad would tell her. “It’s not going to be given to you.”

Stringer wrote down the goals she wished to achieve on paper and being the 2007 state champions was one of them.

Out of high school, Stringer went to the University of Kansas, where she played in five matches and averaged 1.88 kills per set. As a sophomore, Stringer transferred to Pittsburg State and played two seasons for the Gorillas. She earned honorable mention All-American and second team All-MIAA as a sophomore. As a junior, she received honorable mention All-Conference. Stringer totaled 812 kills in her two years at PSU.

Stringer then moved home to be closer to her family and talked to head coach Chris Herron about playing for Washburn. Herron agreed. Stringer uses her competitive edge to set goals everyday and outs all her effort to the court.

“She gets us going,” said Sami McHenry, senior defensive specialist. “If we’re down, she has so much fire to her.”

As for the second half of the season, Stringer says to expect more competitive wins and players dominating their positions and staying positive.

“Do your job as best you can. Stay focused and, the biggest thing, have fun with it,” said Stringer.

Stringer is majoring in elementary education and wants to work with kids when she graduates. For fun, Stringer likes to slalom ski and play with her chocolate labrador.

“Corrinne has one of the best personalities you will ever meet,” said McHenry. “She’s always upbeat and always energetic.”