Mabee Library Open House Tour coming soon

The Mabee Library has been changed a lot over the years to help students be successful at Washburn. In honor of the library’s success there will be an open house tour Feb. 5. 

According to Alan Bearman, dean of libraries, Mabee Library will now be open 24 hours, five days a week, beginning at 1 p.m. on Sunday until 6 p.m. on Friday. Because the library’s open hours have been extended, students now have the option to study at their convenience.

“Until Nov. 2013, there were over 600 students being tutored in our library,” said Bearman. “And we moved over 6,000 books away to have the nice space for students to be tutored.” 

Two more classrooms can also be used for studying in the library. One is a conference room and the other is a seminar room. 

We added 25 computers in each room for students, and everything we do is for student success,” said Sean Bird, the assistant dean of libraries for Washburn.  

The computers are brand new and the writing table can be adjusted for students’ different needs.

There are 534 seats, 133 computers and 120 iPads for students now, while there were only 419 seats and six computers in 2008. 

“We also created different zones for different study styles this year,” said Bearman. “Many students prefer quiet and private spaces when they are studying, so on the second floor, we offered many individual writing tables for those students, and sofas in the hall are for the students needing comfort seats. The basement is mainly for group studying.” 

According to a survey, 75 percent of all students’ printing occurs in the Mabee Library and many of them spend most of their time in the library. Bearman also said the library has installed more outlets for students who stay for long hours in the library.

The Mabee Open House will have food available and share more information with the students who are interested in touring the new additions of the library. Tours will be from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. Feb. 5 at the Mabee Library.