Additional iCard features coming to WU

Parents and students have been expecting to have a place to deposit money with the ability to use it for more services. The new iCard will allow students more freedom to use their iCard as they choose.  

The pin-based debit iCard is coming this summer to the Washburn & WU Tech campuses. The card will have a new design: Washburn University will have an Ichabod depiction on the front of the card and Washburn Tech will have their logo featured on its card.  

“The iCard will still do all the things it does now and be available for all the people who have an iCard, which includes students, teachers, staff and anyone affiliated with WU and Washburn Tech, said Janell Rutherford, director of business and auxiliary systems. “We will be partnering with U.S. Bank. The I.D. card will work exactly as the one you have today, but students will have the choice to get the U.S. Bank debit card added to their I.D.”

The initial goal was to have them ready for new student orientation, which begins in May and lasts until August, but the card technology is taking more time than anticipated.

“Currently you can use your iCard to utilize the Rec Center, Student Health, library services, athletic events and door admittance if you have a class or live on campus that needs swipe-card access,” said Gayla Sarkesian, office manager of the Ichabod Service Center.

Sarkesian says other current uses for the iCard are for food services, the Ichabod Shop, vending machines and paying for services, such as immunizations or a T.B. test.

At orientations, parents and students have been expecting to have a place to deposit money with the ability to use it for more services, such as withdrawing money or for shopping at any retailer that accepts pin-based debit cards. The new iCard will allow students more freedom to use their iCard as they choose.  

Students will be able to turn in their old cards and get their picture taken to receive the new debit card absolutely free.  

At this time, iCards have a blue swipe bar on the back of the cards for WU services. If a U.S. Bank debit card is to be issued, the student will turn in their old card and receive the new one that will have their picture and another stripe added that is black for debit card use.

The student will need to go to U.S. Bank to activate it, and they will receive a student checking account with a free first time order of U.S. Bank checks.

Other free services include  a free  monthly maintenance fee, four free non-U.S. Bank ATM transactions per statement period, free email, text alerts, online and mobile banking and online statements. 

At least one U.S. Bank ATM machine will be placed on campus. However, students are not required to get this new card. They can keep and use the same card they are using now.

An iCard is issued at the Ichabod Service Center on the main level of the Memorial Union. The service center also sells stamps, has a notary public and enables copying and faxing. For more information email [email protected] or call 670-1187.