Washburn Family Day!

Family Day, a favorite tradition for Washburn students and faculty, will take place this weekend.

Designed to give students and their friends and families an opportunity to socialize with WU alumni, professors and faculty, Family Day is a day-long celebration of what it means to be an Ichabod.

The festivities will kick off at 9 a.m. and the good times will roll throughout the day, with plenty of activities for ‘Bods of all ages.

“There are new and special events this year, including story time and face painting at Mabee Library,” said Michaela Saunders, university relations. “[We’re celebrating] the School of Nursing’s 40th anniversary and the 10th anniversary of the Washburn Village. It will be a great day.”

As part of their anniversary, the School of Nursing will host a tailgate party prior to WU’s football game against Pittsburg State, which is scheduled for a 2 p.m. kickoff. Nursing students will be on hand at the tailgate to provide free cholesterol, blood glucose and blood pressure screenings.During the football game’s halftime, the Washburn Family of the Year, a time-honored award, will be announced. The game will be the MIAA TV game of the week and will be broadcast on Cox cable channel 22.

Bounce-houses, inflatables and carnival-styled games will be set up on the lawn in front of the Memorial Union to keep children of all ages entertained. The Washburn Room, inside the union, will host the Family and Faculty picnic.