Training to become a Washburn LGBTQ ALLY

staff

Everyone on campus is invited to become a Washburn ALLY by attending the Safe Zone training seminar on Thursday, October 30th from 2:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. located in the Vogel room of the Memorial Union.

Training will help participants to increase the community’s understanding and awareness of current lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning (LGBTQ) issues. It will also help provide those in the local LGBTQ student community a greater sense of safety on campus.

Another goal of the training is to give current information to straight allies that find themselves in positions where they may be interacting with LGBTQ students in the community, whether they are classmates, roommates, friends, residents, students, staff, faculty or other interactions.

It will also allow all who attend to act as a resource of all current information regarding homophobia, hetrosexism, transphobia and other issues that those of the LGBTQ campus and surrounding community may face.

Those unable to attend this month’s session are able to attend future training sessions, offered once a month, until April 23rd, 2015. More information can be found at www.washburn.edu/safezone.

Anyone interested in attending this session should register by sending an email to [email protected].