WU receives largest athletic scholarship in history

The application for scholarships is now available for students. The deadline for this application is Feb. 15.

Staff

TOPEKA – Washburn University announced at Homecoming on Saturday an estate gift from Dorothy Reichart for more than $1.4 million to fund scholarships in athletics. This gift, combined with the previously established Jerry W. Reichart Athletic Scholarship Fund, makes this the largest endowed athletic scholarship funded by an individual in Washburn’s history, totaling nearly $2 million.

“Washburn Athletics was so much a part of Jerry and Dorothy’s life,” said Nancy Erwin, sister of Dorothy. “Dorothy wanted to honor Jerry through this scholarship fund so that future student-athletes could have the same opportunities Jerry had when he was at Washburn. I am so proud of her for making this gift to Washburn.”

Jerry, ba ‘50, was an all-conference lineman at Washburn and received all-Central Intercollegiate Conference honors in 1949. He set school and conference records in the shot put and was inducted in the Washburn Athletics Hall of Fame in 1987.

Dorothy, who attended Washburn University, was a member of Alpha Phi sorority, First United Methodist Church, the Woman’s Department Club, PEO Chapter CS and numerous bridge groups.

“We are honored Dorothy chose Washburn as the recipient of this generous estate gift,” said Dr. JuliAnn Mazachek, president, Washburn University Foundation. “Following her wishes, this gift will be used to provide scholarships for generations of student-athletes to come. This creates a meaningful, lasting legacy to her and Jerry’s lives.

“Washburn is so fortunate to have alumni and friends like Jerry and Dorothy Reichart,” said Dr. Jerry Farley, president, Washburn University. “This scholarship is indicative of the impact Washburn has had on Jerry and Dorothy’s lives and their commitment to ensuring opportunities for future generations of student-athletes. We are very grateful for their support.”