Bods suffer tough loss against Missouri Western on homecoming

It was a bad sign for the Ichabods going into halftime of the homecoming football game Saturday, Oct. 18 with five turnovers and being led in passing yards by their punter, Aaron Hummert.

Washburn received the opening kickoff from the Missouri Western State University Griffons and started at their own 18 yard line. They quickly went three-and-out and punted, bringing down the returner at the Western 34-yard line.

Missouri Western drove the field and scored the first points of the game on a run with 9:49 to play in the first quarter, putting them on top 7-0.

The Ichabods received the ball and started their second drive at their own 28, but quarterback Zeke Palmer soon threw an interception which was returned for a touchdown. With that, Missouri Western had scored two touchdowns in 44 seconds.

After Washburn punted on their next possession, the Griffons hit a 32-yard field goal to put themselves up 17-0, with still over a third of the first quarter to play.

Washburn managed to move the chains for the first time on their ensuing drive, but were eventually forced to punt, facing a fourth and six situation on their own 40. But the punt was faked, and Hummert hit wide receiver Connor Crimmins for a 52 yard pass, which he hauled in and took down to the Griffons’ 8-yard line.

This boosted the energy of the stadium, but that energy was quickly sapped when a pitch was fumbled at the 3-yard line which Missouri Western recovered.

The first quarter ended with one more touchdown by the Griffons and a third turnover by the Ichabods, the score 24-0, Missouri Western.

The second quarter started with a missed 50-yard field goal by Missouri Western. The kick had the distance but was wide right.

The Ichabods started with decent field position at their own 33. They were able to convert on a second and 16, but soon after one of Palmer’s passes was tipped and intercepted, the fourth Washburn turnover of the half.

Washburn would later fumble the ball on their own 23, which was picked up and returned six by Missouri Western. After the PAT, the Griffons had now scored 14 points by returning turnovers.

The first half closed with a 29-yard field goal by the Griffons, putting them up 34-0.

Missouri Western received the kickoff to open the second half and put together a long drive, but it ended with a fumble which was recovered by Washburn—their first fumble recovery of the season.

Washburn could not make anything out of this opportunity and punted. The defense held off the onslaught they had seen in the first half and only allowed the Griffons one field goal by the time the fourth quarter began. The score was 37-0.

Washburn finally got on the board at the 13:21 mark in the fourth quarter with a 25-yard pass on fourth and 9 from Palmer to wide receiver DaJuan Beard. This prevented Washburn from facing back-to-back shutouts for the first time since 1984.

The Griffons added on more field and the Bods scored a second touchdown with 35 seconds to go in the game, but it had been clear long before who would be the victor.

The final score was Missouri Western 40, Washburn 14.