Ichabods fight into overtime to defeat Fort Hays State Tigers

Adam Vlach, adam. [email protected], is a senior English and mass media major.

Washburn football needed a victory Saturday, Oct. 5 to prevent from losing at least four of its first five games of the season for the first time in over a decade.

When the team captains met at midfield for the coin toss, Washburn was only represented by three players as opposed to the traditional four. Quarterback Mitch Buhler was still out with a shoulder injury and did not suit up. Sophomore Zeke Palmer started his second game at quarterback, first at home, against the Fort Hays State Tigers.

Washburn won the toss and elected to defer.

The opening kickoff was a touchback, setting the Tigers up at their own 25 yard line. FHSU drove the field, overcame a sack, and eventually ran it in for a touchdown, capping off a five minute drive. Fort Hays was on top 7-0 with 10:03 to go in the first quarter.

After trading possessions back and forth a few times, the Ichabods found themselves with the ball with just over five minutes to go in the first quarter.

On the first play of the drive, Palmer hooked up with wide receiver Jordan Hart for a 72-yard pass, taking the Bods down to the opponent’s 1-yard line.

Running back Sean McPherson ran it in right after to tie up the game, 7-7.

Fort Hays State responded quickly, though.

After receiving the kickoff and returning it to their 35, they broke the tie with a bubble screen that went for long yardage and into the end zone, just about a minute and a half after Washburn’s first touchdown.

The first quarter ended 14-7, Fort Hays State.

The second quarter did not start off well for the Ichabods. After taking a sack on a 3rd and 8, the Bods were forced to punt, but punter Aaron Hummert pinned the Tigers down at their own 8-yard line.

Washburn returned the 3rd down sack as linebacker Zach Weekley took FHSU quarterback to the ground, forcing a Tigers punt.

Both teams battled back and forth the remainder of the quarter, but no drives from either side were successful, and the first half came to a close with the score remaining 14-7. Fort Hays State.

By the time the fourth quarter rolled around, both teams were tied up, 21-21. With neither team being able to score before the end of regulation, the game went into overtime.

FHSU started with the ball first on Washburn’s 25. They drove all the way down to the 3-yard line but were unable to punch it in and were forced to settle for a field goal.

Washburn then took over. After having one touchdown called back, Palmer handed the ball to Vershon Moore on 2nd and 10 who ran it in from 15 yards out to win the game, 27-24. Washburn