Reminder: important tax info for students

Update Social Security Number

As required by the IRS, each January, Washburn sends students a Form 1098-T, which reports eligible charges, along with grants and scholarships applied to the student account. This information is needed to claim any educational deductions or credits on your (or your parents’) 2014 income tax return.

In order to receive a 1098-T, you must provide a Social Security Number (SSN) to the University

If you have not provided your SSN; if you believe your SSN is incorrect in our system; or if your SSN has legally changed, please visit the Student Service Center (Morgan Hall, room 152) with your Social Security card so we can update your information. Note that international students who are considered to be nonresident aliens for tax purposes may receive a Form 1042-S rather than, or in addition to, Form 1098-T.

Also, please make sure all your address information is accurate and up-to-date. You can check it by going to MyWashburn, then to the Financial Services tab. On the right-hand side, under the heading “Student Account Information”, is a link to review or update your current and permanent addresses.

Electronic 1098-T Opt-In

If you wish to receive a paper copy of your 1098-T form, one will be mailed to you in January. If you would prefer to receive your 1098-T form electronically, you must provide consent by following the link provided below and following the step by step instructions.

The advantages to receiving electronic notification are:

• Online delivery provides access to the 1098-T earlier than the traditional mailing process.
  • Online delivery eliminates the chance that the 1098-T will get lost, misdirected or delayed during delivery, or misplaced once the student receives it.
  • Signing up for online delivery is easy and secure.
  • Students can receive their 1098-T form even while traveling or on assignment away from their home address.

To give consent to receive your 1098-T form electronically, click on the link below and follow the instructions.

1. Go to http://www.ecsi.net/gateway/1098t-signup.html?school=AX
  2. Signup for Electronic Statements by entering your Washburn ID (not your SSN!), name, and email address. You may also include an alternate email address. The website is a secure website and Heartland ECSI will not share your private information with anyone. This email is strictly sent to gather your consent for receiving an electronic 1098-T Form.
  3. Read the information, check the box and click on submit.

If you have any questions about the electronic 1098-T opt-in, please visit http://www.ecsi.net/taxinfo.html for information regarding your tax documents and to obtain contact information for Heartland ECSI.

For any other questions about your Form 1098-T, please contact the Business Office at 785-670-1156 or via email at [email protected].

Posted by: Chris Leach

Target: all students, faculty and staff