Late runs doom Bods in game one of doubleheader

Adam Vlach

Game 2 of the Washburn versus Missouri Western series, the first of Saturday’s doubleheader, started out with a boom.

The Griffons’ first batter launched one over the Falley Field fence in the first of the game’s seven innings, giving Missouri Western an immediate lead. The next batter hit a triple and was eventually brought home, setting the Griffons up early at 2-0.

But with one out, a double play by Washburn stopped the Griffons’ momentum and put the Ichabods on the offense.

After back-to back-doubles by Riley Krane and Kyle Carnahan, Krane scored to put the first point on the board for the Bods. Then, with Carnahan on second, David Gauntt stepped up to the plate and hit a 2-run homer, putting the Ichabods ahead 3-2.

The second inning went scoreless, but the action picked back up in the third.

With two outs and runners on first and second, Missouri Western hit an RBI single to tie up the game. The Ichabods closed out the top of third with their defense and then responded with power.

Washburn scored one point in the bottom of third, and it came from yet another home run by Gauntt.

The inning ended with a fly out, but Washburn was in charge once again, 4-3.

The fourth and fifth innings went without any runs from either team.

The top of the sixth was detrimental for the Bods, with the Griffons scoring three runs.

Washburn held Missouri Western scoreless in the sixth until they had two outs, but with Griffons on first and third, a double drove one run in and left runners on second and third. Still with two outs, and a full count, another double was hit, scoring two more runs.

The top of the sixth inning finished with Missouri Western on top for the first time since the first inning, with a 6-4 score.

The Ichabods managed to get two runners on base in the bottom of the sixth, but were unable to capitalize, and sent the game into the final inning, still trailing 4-6.

The Ichabods were able to shut out the Griffons in the top of the seventh and went to their final at-bat, starting with the top of their lineup.

But the Bods went three up, three down.

With the win, Missouri Western tied up the four-game series, 1-1.