Niagara recalls dozens of brands, students react

Lisa Herdman

Niagara Bottling company has voluntarily recalled 14 brands of their spring water after one of their springs tested positive for Escherichia coli.

The brands that have been affected from Niagara Bottling LLC include: Acadia, Acme, Big Y, Best Yet, 7-Eleven, Niagara, Nature’s Place, Pricerite, Superchill, Morning Fresh, Shaws, ShopRite, Western Beef Blue and Wegmans purchased between 3 a.m. on June 10 and 8 p.m. on June 18.

Adam Cordova, the director of dining services at Washburn University, said that the university did not receive a red alert about the recall. He said the red alerts will tell the university which products and barcodes are needing to be taken off of shelves.

USDA advised users of the effected water bottle brands to check the dates they purchased them to be sure they can be issued a refund or are able to consume the water safely.

Carson Crain, a sophomore student at Washburn, was concerned that bottled water may not be monitored the way it should be, and questions if the spring water being used is up to standard.

“It worries me a little bit, we regulate everything, and they need to probably keep their eyes on the water bottle company. Is the water even clean?” Crain said.

Paul Griffin, a junior student, hadn’t heard of the recall.

“The recall didn’t affect me. I’m not much worried,” Griffin said, “I have a [reusable] water bottle, but I don’t drink bottled water. I think we should only drink it when other water is not available.”

The United States Department of Agriculture states that E.coli is found when food or water comes in contact with human or animal feces and can cause symptoms such as diarrhea, abdominal cramps, and vomiting. To be safe, boil the bottled water that may be at risk of being contaminated for at least 10 minutes and then let it cool.

The USDA has had no reports of illnesses due to the bottled water from Niagara’s Hamburg and Allentown, Pennsylvania, facilities. However, Niagara Bottling LLC has decided to terminated its contract with the source, Far Away Spring, in Auburn, Pennsylvania and is looking to other sources to get their spring water.

To protect from bacteria, like E.coli, the USDA recommends cooking ground beef to a safe minimum internal temperature of 160°F, drinking only pasteurized milk, juice, or cider and rinsing fruits and vegetables under running tap water, especially those that will not be cooked. Additionally, they recommend washing hands with warm water and soap after changing diapers, using the bathroom, handling pets or having any contact with feces.

For more information contact the USDA at (202) 720-2791.