President’s Corner September 16

Blake Porter

Greetings Ichabods,

First and foremost, I would like to congratulate the football team for their first win of the season against University of Nebraska at Kearney! Thanks to all of the students who came out to Yager Stadium and supported our beloved Ichabods.

Secondly, Washburn Student Government Association and Campus Activities Board are proud to present that Rainn Wilson is coming to campus for this year’s Lecture Series. The lecture series will be Sept. 24 at 7 p.m. in White Concert Hall. It is an event that is open to students, as well as the public. There is a suggested donation of $5 or five canned food items for Can Emporia.

Lastly, Can Emporia is happening now. We will be collecting cans and monetary donations from September 14th – October 30th. All cans will be donated to Topeka area food banks, including Bods Feeding Bods. Cans and monetary donations will be collected in the WSGA office, located in the lower level of the Memorial Union, as well as at other locations across campus. This year for Can Emporia there is also a competition between student organizations to see who can raise the most canned goods.

The first five student organizations to raise 1,000 cans will be eligible to request an extra $1,000 in WSGA funding.

Can Emporia is a time in which we are able to give back to our community and help those in need, all while being in a competition with our rival school, Emporia State University, to see who can reach the most canned good donations. Take pride in your university and community, and give back to those in need, all while helping us ‘can’ the Hornets!

These next few months are going to be very busy, with a lot of opportunities to get involved in events throughout our university. My advice to all students, freshmen to seniors, is to branch out, get involved and most importantly, like I mentioned before, to truly take pride in your university.

As always, Go Bods!

President Porter