Meaningful cause behind No-Shave November

Sophia Oswald

Many people are not aware that No-Shave November is more than a fun tradition. They don’t know that there is an actual purpose behind it. Many are even grossed out by these random patches of hair showing up on men’s faces all over the place.

No-Shave November is a yearly event in which men grow facial hair to raise awareness for men’s health issues with the main focus being cancer.

The Movember Foundation holds a charity event every year on its website movember.com, and The No-Shave November foundation also is playing a big role with its own charity work. This year it is working with many organizations such as the American Cancer Society, Prevent Cancer Foundation and St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. It will be closing this donation period on Dec. 31. According to the organization’s website no-shave.org, “No-Shave November will donate no less than 80% of donations equally to participating charities.”

A few Washburn students were asked if they knew the true meaning behind No-Shave November.

“Yeah I know that it’s to raise cancer awareness,” said Gerardo Echeverria, junior marketing major. “Not many people do though. It’s pretty much just a huge fad that a whole bunch of people jump on to seem trendy.”

Some students didn’t know the true reason for No-Shave November.

“I actually never knew that was the reason for No-Shave November,” said Grady Arachtingi, freshman nursing major. “I just always thought this was a tradition mostly college students participated in, but now knowing that it’s for cancer awareness, I feel much more obligated to participate. It’s the perfect tradition that everyone can participate in.”

But not everyone is inclined to take part in the tradition.

“Yes I know it’s for cancer,” said Dillon Williams, an undeclared freshman. “Do I participate? No. Why? If I try to grow a beard, it looks funny.”

There are many ways to get involved. Obviously one doesn’t have to grow out her leg hair or grow a beard to get involved. Students can donate money or start a fundraising page. The No-Shave November website stated “The rules of No-Shave November are simple: put down your razor for 30 days and donate your monthly hair-maintenance expenses to the cause.”