Briefs Issue 25

Washburn’s new track coach, Cameron Babb, has recently announced the signing of the first round of track athletes to come to Washburn for the sport since 1982. They will be attending the school and be part of the program starting in the fall of 2016.

For the Men’s track team, a high jumper, long jumper and thrower have been signed.

The first was Zach Skimbo, a 6’4’’ high jumper from McAlester, Oklahoma. He will graduate from Hutchinson Community College with an associate’s in pre-engineering and transfer to Washburn as a new student. His track career is already decorated with a national qualifying personal record of 6’7’’ in high jump. He also qualified for state in high school twice, placing seventh his junior year and winning the state title his senior. Skimbo plans to major in actuarial science.

“Zach is an athlete I’m excited about working with for a couple different reasons,” said Babb. “First off, he will be coming in as a junior college transfer, so he already understands what it takes to be a collegiate athlete and should give us a bit of leadership in the jumps crew.  He also has a ton of potential to improve from what I can tell after watching him jump a couple times.  He has already jumped 6’7” this past indoor season which is very close to a national provisional mark at our level.  With my background developing high jumpers and his athletic ability I think he will do very well here in the upcoming years.”

Next is Cameron Spencer, a 6 ft long jumper from Ardmore, Oklahoma. He will graduate from Plainview High School in May 2016. His brother Kastin is currently a member of the Washburn football team, in which Spencer will also be a part of. He plans to major in pre-law.

Finally for the Men’s team is Dallas Thompson, a 6’1’’ thrower from Madison, Kansas. He will also transfer from Hutchinson Community College after graduating with an associate’s in sports management. He finished seventh in weight throw at 2015 KJCAA Region 6 Indoor meet, throwing 14.21 meters and ninth at 2015 Region 6 Outdoor meet in discus with a throw of 43.44 meters.

For the Women’s team, a distance runner and a thrower were signed.

Lauren Hills, a 5’10’’ high school senior who will attend Washburn in the fall as a freshman from Maize, Kansas. She took fifth in discus her junior year and seventh in shot put at the 6A State Track meet. She plans to major in biology.

“I think Lauren will be a fantastic collegiate thrower,” said Babb. “She has put up some very good marks as a high school athlete, and I expect her to continue to develop once she gets to the next level.  She has great arm action when throwing and already understands certain portions of her events that will make her even better.  When she has the opportunity to train consistently at our facilities I think we will really see her blossom into a top level collegiate thrower.”

Lastly, a 5’3’’ distance runner from Dodge City, Kansas, Jasmine Duarte. She will graduate from Dodge City High School in May 2016, holding a 4×800 meter school record she had set as a junior as well as leaving as an All-State Academic as a senior. She plans to major in kinesiology.

The track team has it’s first set of recruits signed to Washburn to start the 2016 season.