Bod Brief: Event aims to show participants reality of sexual violence

Staff Report

As a part of Denim Day activities, there will be an event aimed toward informing participants about the truth about sexual assault, including both men and women. The event will be from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. in the Union Underground. The event may make participants uneasy, but there will be counselors from Student Counseling as well as representatives from the YWCA Center for Safety and Empowerment who will be willing to discuss the event with participants.

Other Denim Day activities included an opportunity from 9 – 11 a.m. for students to decorate a jean pocket and then staple it to a post that will be placed on the lawn outside Memorial Union. This event was meant to raise support for stopping violence on campus.

There was also a forum at noon, facilitated by Joel Bluml, about what Washburn is doing both to support victims and end violence on campus. The event took place in Mabee Library and included a question and answer period at the end of the panel. Free pizza was provided to attendees.

Denim Day is part of Sexual Assault Awareness Month. It was begun not only to support victims of sexual assault, but also to protest an overturned court case. The case was overturned because of a decision that said wearing tight jeans means that rape can’t happen because the victim would have to help with the removal of the jeans. Washburn has been observing Sexual Assault Awareness Month by tying teal ribbons, the color for Sexual Assault Awareness Month, around one in five trees, which symbolizes how one in five women will be sexually assaulted during their college career.