BOD MAGAZINE – Surviving your first year of college – DO NOT PUBLISH

Natalie Engler

When I first stepped foot onto Washburn’s campus my freshman year, it was my birthday. I had just turned 19. I had no idea what was in store for me and I was about to find out pretty quickly.

My week of classes proved itself to be the beginning of a year I would never forget. I fell in love with all my classes and even more so with Washburn’s Criminal Justice program. All my professors opened my eyes to the reality of the criminal justice system and I was excited to start my journey.

Not even into my first month at Washburn, I was dragged by a friend to a meeting of an organization called To Write Love on Her Arms, or TWLOHA. All it took was one meeting and I have never left.  

As the months went by, Christmas had come and gone, and the second semester had begun. I worked hard on every homework assignment. I studied for every test. I attended every TWLOHA Thursday meeting. I spent time with my new friends by going to the Burger Stand on Monday nights. When it was all over, I was proud to say that I survived my first year.

So, when it comes to having a good first year, there is no right or wrong way. There is only how you choose you experience it. So, don’t be afraid to go outside of your comfort zone. Dare to dream big. Take a risk. Have fun. Live.