Bod Magazine: Letter from the editor

Stephanie Cannon STUDENT MEDIA

Dear Past Self,

Sometimes I look back and wish I could tell you, my younger self, about the road that lies ahead.

The first thing I would say is “Take a deep breath – this isn’t as bad as you think it’s going to be – you’ve got this”. Because the truth is, through every sleepless night and every rough moment of self-doubt, insecurity and hesitation, there’s a person who is being given the opportunity to grow in ways that are as unpredictable as they are beautiful.

The second piece of advice I would give is to not limit your options or be scared to try new things! You can’t know about your future passions for photography, design and reporting because you haven’t yet been able to see that the world is a much larger and exciting place than you think it is. But at the same time don’t forget that while it may be wonderful to try new things you must also learn to cherish what already inspires you. In the end, those are the seeds that will grow into what you will enjoy the most in life.

Finally, I would encourage you to forgive. Once you realize that everyone around you is human, with their own imperfections and bridges to cross, it not only becomes easier to forgive them for their mistakes but it also becomes easier to forgive yourself for your own. No one can fully realize how their actions affect others until years down the road and everyone, including yourself, has just started a never ending journey of self-improvement.

Have fun along the way! These next few years are as rough as they are beautiful and in the end you’ll realize you wouldn’t trade them for the world.

This is an article from the Spring/Summer 2016 Bod Magazine. Pick up your FREE copy today WITH additional content in front of the Student Media Office located on the lower level of Memorial Union.