CAB and WSGA bring prominent guests to campus [YEARBOOK DO NOT PUBLISH]

Ryan Thompson

Throughout the year, the Campus Activities Board (CAB) and the Washburn Student Government Association (WSGA) welcomed a number of comedians, motivational speakers and lecturers to Washburn University.

According to Shannon Schwaebler, assistant director to Student Activities and Greek Life, the purpose of CAB is to provide students with entertainment on campus.

“I think it’s important because we bring people from all different walks of life, so it could be a learning opportunity for different students,” Schwaebler explained. To find these guests, CAB goes through the National Association of Campus Activities.

“We also have connections with different agencies throughout the country, who will reach out to us if they know that we’re looking for a specific topic,” said Schwaebler.

One notable speaker brought in by CAB was Monti Washington, an actor and poet who shared his story of achieving success in the face of adversity, such as growing up in poverty and experiencing abusive foster homes.

“For CAB, my favorite speaker was probably Monty Washington, because it was a different type of event. He shared experiences that a lot of students I don’t think have ever had to go through, so they were able to learn a lot,” Schwaebler said.

CAB partners with WSGA each year to host the Washburn Lecture Series. The Lecture Series is an event that hosts prominent speakers to Washburn who students would be unlikely to meet and learn from otherwise. Last year’s Lecture Series featured Rainn Wilson, co-creator of Soul Pancake. He is perhaps best known for his portrayal of Dwight Schrute on the award winning television series, “The Office,” but Wilson is also an accomplished internet entrepreneur and writer.

One of the most positive aspects of these events for students is the price.

“All of CAB and WSGA events are free, so if you are interested in going you should definitely check it out,” Schwaebler said.