FAFSA allows Washburn students opportunity to work study – BOD MAGAZINE, DON’T PUBLISH

Angel Tolstikhina

Many students face an expensive cost for college education, yet there are many ways for governmental support through different programs, one of which being Federal Work Study employment (FWS). The program is beneficial for undergraduates who apply for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and answer yes to the question, “In addition to grants, are you interested in ‘work-study’ [which you earn through work]?” when filling out the Free Application.

”I just filled out my FAFSA and after I have received my award. The history department offered me a position as a student worker,” said Marissa Coyle, senior history major.

FWS is based on financial need of an undergraduate and provides them with an opportunity to work on campus up to 10-15 hours per week at the federal minimum wage. Why wouldn’t anyone just find a campus job without the involvement of FAFSA? The reason is because FWS offers more options to choose from. Certain departments on campus prefer to hire student workers who are paid through Federal Aid due to their limited funds.

“The difference between a work study and non-work study is only in the source of where the funds come from,” said Jamie McEwen, student employment coordinator.

If the student is eligible for FWS, however, there are job opportunities available in almost every department at Washburn, as well as community service jobs off-campus.

In regard to eligibility requirements, the student needs to be enrolled and in good academic standing with the university, which are the same requirements for receiving FAFSA. In addition, every student employee has to pass a satisfactory background check through a search of the Kansas Offender Registry.

The applicants are notified of the Work Study award on the award letter that is either mailed to them or can be accessed through MyWashburn. Once students receive the letter, they can search the job listings on their MyWashburn account under the Financial Services tab.

There are many reasons why Work Study is a great option for undergraduates. Statistically, the graduation rate is 18–20 percent higher for students who are working on campus versus those ones that are working other places or not working at all.

“I like working on campus because it’s not as stressful as finding a job in some sort of retail that most students have,” said Kimmy Woodwarth, sophomore graphic design major.

“Work Study allows students to create a connection with the campus. It gives a student a home on campus, they are involved and they know what is going on within the university,” said McEwen.

In addition, Work Study employees have an option to earn a right for a Washburn Transformational Experience if they work in non-profit organizations in Topeka through the LINC foundation, which stands for Learning in the Community.