Safe Zone training for all

Review Staff Report

On Sept. 1, in the Cottonwood Room in the Memorial Union from 2:30-5:00 p.m., Washburn is offering Safe Zone basic training to faculty, staff and students.

They will have the opportunity to learn and experience current, relevant, and necessary information regarding awareness, safety, and available resources for our LGBT+ community of students.

After the completion of a three hour Basic Training session, participants have the opportunity to become a Washburn Ally, declaring their office to be a Safe Zone.

The goals of the Washburn University Safe Zone Program are:

• To increase the overall campus community’s understanding and awareness of current and timely lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning (LGBTQ) issues.
  • To provide a greater sense of safety for the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender student community.
  • To offer current and timely information to straight allies in positions where they may be in contact with lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people (as classmates, roommates, friends, residents, students, staff, faculty, etc.).
  • To act as a resource of current and timely information regarding homophobia, heterosexism, transphobia and LGBTQ issues on the WU campus and the surrounding Washburn community.

Future training sessions will be offered throughout the semester. Participants can register at sagl.eventbrite.com.