Cancer Battle: Kenny Cann will overcome

Lisa Herdman

Kenny Cann, also referred to by some students as “Mr. Blest”, was a Chartwell’s worker who many students may recognize as the worker at the pasta station who told students to “have a blessed day,” recently finished his radiation and chemo treatments for his throat cancer. However, during this time of recovery he was diagnosed with liver cancer.

Cann has decided to go home to be with his family in South Carolina who will help him transition into hospice care.

He has worked eight years at Washburn University, serving food to students and telling them to have a blessed day. Coworkers and students have expressed interest and worry over Cann’s disappearance from campus. A banner signing event from 12 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 14 brought students to the Memorial Union to sign and write messages to Cann while he is recovering.

“Kenny would brighten up all the students life’s and he really makes an impact,” said Daniel Adame, a Chartwells Food Service worker and close friend of Cann’s. “If you were having a bad day he would fix it… I want him to know that he will never be alone and I want people to have a blessed day.”

Cann has been recognized for his work by Washburn’s 2015 Muriel D. Clark Student Life Achieving Excellence Award.

Well wishes and cards can still be sent to Cann through multiple Washburn faculty and staff members.

For information, contact Janel or Jon Rutherford in the Memorial Union, Ryan Calovich (SAR-BTAC), or Debra Mikulka (Garvey 233).

You can make a donation that will go towards helping to pay Cann’s medical funds at any U.S. Bank location: USBank/KennyCann/145573 164863.

“I hear a lot of students talking about Kenny, everyone asks where he is – we miss him,” said Roshelle Reid, Chartwells Food Service and Catering employee. “When he’s gone, it makes a big difference.”