Bod Magazine Quotes for Kenzie (DO NOT PUBLISH)

Natalie Engler

Tracy Routsong, communications professor

Political correctness in reference to sensitive speech.

• “Language is fluid. It’s not static, it’s based on our culture. And we alter and phrase language based on those social constructs that we have. We build language. We alter language through, not just our interactions with people but then through our experiences with people.”

Tony Palbicke, criminal justice professor

Have you have to provide more insight on what is and what is not appropriate for class?

• “Not necessarily telling students what is and not appropriate for class because I will bring anything into class and discuss it. If there is something that happens, I will bring in that current event in and we’ll break it down.”

Mark Peterson, political science professor

• “I have always included in my syllabus a statement that essentially says open discourse is a requirement for this class, but some social restraint is appropriate.”

A few students I have spoken with have stated that they feel uncomfortable sharing their opinions in class. What is your response to that?

• “Students are never really forthcoming. Getting students to respond to questions, to interact amongst themselves, within in the classroom has never been something that has really occurred. I suspect it probably has something to do with the topics that I teach that have to do with politics.”

Damien Ibarra, sophomore criminal justice major

Do you feel comfortable sharing your opinion in your classes? Why is that?

• “No, because people can’t take criticism. They like their own ideas and when someone talks bad about their ideas they get all hurt about it.”

Hannah Hagedorn, sophomore forensic investigations and psychology double major

Do you feel comfortable sharing your opinion in your classes?

• “It depends on the class and if I feel like I have enough knowledge to speak out in class. There are times when I don’t feel like I can offer anything to the conversation, so I usually don’t. But, if I can, I try to.”